I’m an employer and I don't have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). What should I do?

If you don’t have a Social Insurance Number (SIN), or you have one that starts with a "9" and are not eligible for a permanent SIN, you will not be able to create a user account on Job Bank for Employers. You need a SIN to create an employer user account which is a prerequisite to creating an employer file and posting jobs on Job Bank.


However, there are other options available to you, if you need to hire for your Canadian business or for your private household. Here’s what you can do: 

  • You can designate a Canadian employee of the business to create their own employer user account, register the employer and post jobs on your behalf. 
  • You can use the services of a third party company to take charge of the job posting process.


In any case, you will not be able to post jobs yourself since you are not allowed to use someone else’s user account credentials to access the employer file. However, you can still receive the applications and manage the screening and hiring process by having your email address added to the employer file.


Important: Job Bank requires a Canadian payroll account number issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to register an employer and advertise job postings.


Was this answer helpful?  Yes  No

Thank you for your feedback.

Date modified: