I don't have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). What should I do?

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need in order to work in Canada. You also need a SIN to access federal government programs and benefits, such as Job Bank. The SIN indicates that you are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or temporary resident, and are eligible to work in Canada. 

If you don’t have a SIN, you may apply for a SIN. However, if you are not eligible for a SIN, you can apply for the Express Entry program through Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Once you have successfully submitted your Express Entry profile, you will get a letter in your IRCC account containing your Express Entry number and Job Seeker validation code.

As a foreign job seeker, if you are a trying to access Job Match as part of your Express Entry application, use your Express Entry number and Job Seeker validation code instead of the SIN, to create a Plus account.


Note: If you recently obtained a SIN, update your user account information on Job Bank.


Important: Job Bank cannot answer questions about SIN applications or the Express Entry program. If you need more information, please contact IRCC or visit the Express Entry Help Centre

Was this answer helpful?  Yes  No

Thank you for your feedback.

Date modified: